tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 20 07:38:26 2002

Re: KLBC: RE: Enough.

From: "Mark J. Reed" <[email protected]>
> I seem to recall a canonical example using the genitive noun-noun
> with Hoch, in the same sense as English "all of the warriors"
> == <SuvwI'pu' Hoch>

In HolQeD Vol. 2, No. 3 we are given information about how /Hoch <noun>/
are many examples of this usage in THE KLINGON WAY.

In SkyBox card S15 we given the sentence /tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej
HochHom lo'lu'taH/, "[the K'Tinga-Class] remained in use for most of the
23rd century."  This usage has led to speculation that using /Hoch/, and
possibly other "quantity nouns," after a noun could indicate the quantity of
a single instance of that noun (e.g., /chab Hoch/ "all of the pie," /chab
HochHom/ "most of the pie"; as opposed to /Hoch chab/ "each pie" and /Hoch
chabmey/ "all of the pies").  There have been no other examples of this
usage.

> If not, would that mean that "all of us"
> could be rendered as Hochmaj?

I doubt it.  If a phrase like "the area above me" is translated as /jIH
Dung/ (KLINGON FOR THE GALACTIC TRAVELER), then it seems unlikely that "all
of us" would be treated as you suggest.  We've had debates before about how
"all of us" would be rendered, and there seems to be no consensus.

SuStel
Stardate 2468.2

Back to archive top level