tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 15 07:51:12 2002

Re: Vaj'Hom

>No no no!!!  List usage is NOT an appropriate guide for understanding
>Klingon!  The way Klingons use the language is to be our guide, not how WE
>use it.  An anthropologist worth his salt wouldn't base his research on a
>culture on how his own culture interprets it!  To try to piece together how
>Klingon works, we must analyze Okrandian canon, because as the fiction
>goes,
>all of it came from Klingon informants.

Would a Spanish grammar teacher in Argentina base her lessons on the
patterns of Spain, when the majority of her kids are never going to get
there?  Or would she rather teach them Spanish as it is spoken by the
community they live in, the community they must interact with?

Obviously, this analogy is not going to hold completely, since the list is
not a community of native speakers.  But it is a community of spekaers, and
how will it help my communication to use a language feature that I believe
is defensible from the point of view of Okrandian canon, when I know the
list is going to misinterpret it?  That is my point.