tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 12 10:52:22 2002

Re: ??HolDaq

>   jabbI'IDlIj vIlaDpu'.  qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol
>   HaDwI'pu'.  ghoHtaH je.  tIv'eghtaH je.  vaj SuquvmoH.
>
>The only oddity is his putting {-Daq} on the ordinal number {wejDIch}
>"third".  Is this a clue that ordinals can take noun suffixes?  At the
>time, SuStel interpreted {qep'a' wejDIch} as being a proper noun, like most
>named academic conferences in academia Okrand would have been familiar
>with, and was therefore an exception: i.e. "at The Third [KLI]
>Conference".

At first glance, this just seemed to me like using verbs adjectivally.  Like
stative verbs when used as adjectives, ordinal numbers follow the noun.
Like stative verbs when used as adjectives, ordinal numbers describe the
noun.  Therefore, like stative verbs when used as adjectives, ordinal
numbers take any Type 5 suffixes that belong to the noun phrase.  I would
probably apply this rule to an ordinal number without thinking about it,
which is apparently what MO did.   I wouldn't jump to conclusions by
guessing that ordinal numbers can take just any noun suffix.

Just my opinion.