tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 11 02:53:53 2002

Back to archive top level

To this year's listing

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

RE: words for edit image

I know I'm a newbie :-) 


If the term, nagh beQ is a term that bas been extended to mean the
resulting artwork itself, then a copy either a photo or a drawing is a
representation of that artwork. So could not the representation of the
artwork also mean nagh beQ?

While a visual display sounds more, to me, of the desktop itself or a
console display or a workstation display.

In English a picture is

1. A visual representation or image painted, drawn, photographed, or
rendered on a flat surface. (from the website)

2. A visible image, especially one on a flat surface or screen: the
picture reflected in the lake; focused the picture on the movie screen. 

we also use picture, in English, if its scanned or drawn in a computer.

3. A vivid or realistic verbal description: a Shakespearean picture of
4. A vivid mental image. 
5. A person or object bearing a marked resemblance to another: She's the
picture of her mother. 
6. A person, object, or scene that typifies or embodies an emotion,
state of mind, or mood: Your face was the very picture of horror. 
6. The chief circumstances of an event or time; a situation. 
7. A movie. 
8. A tableau vivant.

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Steven Boozer []
>Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 3:25 AM
>Subject: Re: words for edit image
>Siqar wrote:
>> > Google website has {nagh beQ) for image (when viewed in Klingon)
>> > KGT has {nagh beQ} as stone panel (artwork, similar to a painting)
>> >
>> > So could I use nagh beQ choH  -  alter artwork for edit image
>Read the description in KGT (p.80):
>   "Carving or incising is also done on flat surfaces, usually a stone
>    panel or {nagh beQ} (literally, "flat rock"), a term that bas been
>    extended to mean the resulting artwork itself as well as similar
>    pieces, including paintings. ... What the Federation would classify
>    as a painting - that is, a {nagh beQ} featuring an image not carved
>    into it but painted onto it - is made by applying rItlh ["pigment,
>    paint, dye"] ..."
>This sounds like a particular type of artwork (cf. mural), not a
>word for image or picture.  We can't force the word to mean more than
>does.  Unfortunately, we just have to work around this particular
>>Here (on earth) we use the metaphor "desktop" for the main screen,
>>etc.  We're
>>not sure what metaphors klingons carry through.  It might work; or
they might
>>look at you funny.  If Maltz IS a prisoner, someone should do a
mindmeld with
>>him and get whatever info we want.
>Absolutely.  As a temporary work-around, if you're referring to an
image on
>a computer monitor, {HaSta} "visual display (on monitor)" is the
closest we
>have and is sometimes used by those on the List: e.g. {HaSta ta}
>display file" (image file?) vs. {mu' ta} "word file" (text file?), {De'
>"data file", {wab ta} "sound file", {QoQ ta} "music file", {ghogh ta}
>"voice file", etc.
>Of course, what word a Klingon would use is another question
>Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level