tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 10 13:25:33 2002

Back to archive top level

To this year's listing

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: words for edit image

Siqar wrote:
> > Google website has {nagh beQ) for image (when viewed in Klingon)
> > KGT has {nagh beQ} as stone panel (artwork, similar to a painting)
> >
> > So could I use nagh beQ choH  -  alter artwork for edit image

Read the description in KGT (p.80):

   "Carving or incising is also done on flat surfaces, usually a stone
    panel or {nagh beQ} (literally, "flat rock"), a term that bas been
    extended to mean the resulting artwork itself as well as similar
    pieces, including paintings. ... What the Federation would classify
    as a painting - that is, a {nagh beQ} featuring an image not carved
    into it but painted onto it - is made by applying rItlh ["pigment,
    paint, dye"] ..."

This sounds like a particular type of artwork (cf. mural), not a general 
word for image or picture.  We can't force the word to mean more than it 
does.  Unfortunately, we just have to work around this particular lacuna.

>Here (on earth) we use the metaphor "desktop" for the main screen, 
>etc.  We're
>not sure what metaphors klingons carry through.  It might work; or they might
>look at you funny.  If Maltz IS a prisoner, someone should do a mindmeld with
>him and get whatever info we want.

Absolutely.  As a temporary work-around, if you're referring to an image on 
a computer monitor, {HaSta} "visual display (on monitor)" is the closest we 
have and is sometimes used by those on the List: e.g. {HaSta ta} "visual 
display file" (image file?) vs. {mu' ta} "word file" (text file?), {De' ta} 
"data file", {wab ta} "sound file", {QoQ ta} "music file", {ghogh ta} 
"voice file", etc.

Of course, what word a Klingon would use is another question altogether.

Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level