tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 07 17:07:18 2002

Re: cha'DIch KLBC rI'

I Can't read Klingon I joim so I can learn it. can u help me?
  Sulu' wa' <[email protected]> wrote: First off, sorry for the delay in replying: I've been of/l for a few days (the Jubilee, amongst other things).

>Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 12:19:41 -0400
>From: "DloraH"
>Subject: RE: cha'DIch KLBC rI'
>
>Welcome to the list. I am DloraH, currently serving as the list's
>Beginners' Grammarian.
>
>> nuqneH tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu'!
>> Hello Klingon language speakers!
>
>nuqneH does not mean "hello". It is a question meaning "What do you want?".

Yes. I'm sorry I said anything at all, the controversy this has started.
My understanding was, that although nuqneH means wdyw? it is the closest thing Klingon has to a greeting.
What would you use in lieu of hello? rI' (hail) was my idea: even though it is hail as in frequency, I thought it might be a good compromise.
I think Klingon really needs something along these lines.

>> ghomvam jImuvta' cha' Hu',
>> I joined this list two days ago [couldn't find 'recently']
>
>qen "recently"
thanks

>The time stamp /cha' Hu'/ goes at the beginning of the sentence.
This is in TKD I believe, so my omission.
>/ghomvam/ is the object of the verb /muv/, so the prefix needs to be one
>that implies an object; in this case vI-.
Yes, silly me.

>The suffix -ta' means that in the time frame referenced, the action is
>completed, not occuring. /cha' Hu' ghomvam vImuvta'/ say that two days ago
>I had already joined this group; I joined sometime before two days ago.
>
>-pu' and -ta' are not past tense, they are perfective aspect; meaning, at
>the time of the timestamp the act has been completed.
>
>wejHu' vIleghpu' - Three days ago I had already seen him. It could have
>been a year ago, it could have been four days ago; I don't specify.
>
>wejleS vIleghpu' - Three days from now I will have already seen him. Maybe
>I will see him tommorrow. Maybe I will see him today. Maybe I saw him a
>few days ago, or last year. I don't specify. I only say that when three
>days from now gets here, the act of me seeing him will be completed.

Nya-ha. I understand. *vIyaj*. This, I suppose, is a better way of handling tense than English, and allows future-perfect expressions to be less complicated.
>> 'ej tlhIngan Hol vIghoj vIneHbej.
>> and am eager to learn the Klingon Language.
>
>maj. Good.
>
>> *TKD '92* vIghaj 'ej nuq lI' law' Hoch jaq puS vISov vIneH DuvMeH.
>> I have a TKD '92 and would like to know which resource is best to
>> move on to.
>> [- This is what I wanted to say; in actuality, the second half of
>> that sentence is supposed to be '... know what is most useful for
>> advancing'. Is there a better way to express this?]
>
>There are several ways to handle this. The first one to come to my mind:
>*TKD '92* vIghaj. Hol laHwIj vIDubtaHmeH Hol jo vISuqnISbogh yIngu'.
>"I have TKD '92. To continue improving my language abilities, identify
>which language resources I need to acquire."
Right. My problem with learning new languages has always been trying to run before I can walk.
I suppose using two or three sentences rather than one might have been easier >>>:-)

>Do you have KGT (Klingon for the Galactic Traveler)?
No I don't. I have tried to get hold of it (today in fact), but apparently it is out of print, and Amazon don't have it either. I'll try a few other places.
Having written that, it seems that Simon and Schuster have it on their website. Second update, amazon apparently do have it, but only if you know the ISBN :->
>For a complete list of words you need TKD, KGT, and the New Words List
>available at the KLI website.
>The audio tapes CK (Conversational Klingon) and PK (Power Klingon) give you
>a chance to hear the language.
I'm more interested in written Klingon really, but I suppose it could be fun.

>And for really improving your abilities... attend the annual qep'a'.
Could be a bit difficult... is there one in the UK?

>> jabbI'IDmeylIj vIlaDmeH jIniDvIS jItIv'egh,
>> I enjoy attempting to read your messages
>
>"I enjoy myself while I attempt for the purpose of reading your messages."
>
>The suffix -vIS must always be accompanied by the suffix -taH.
Again, I do know this. Obviously I need more practice.

>jabbI'IDmeylIj vIlaD 'e' vInID 'e' vItIv.
>
>The pronoun 'e' represents the previous sentence as the object.
>jabbI'IDmeylIj vIlaD "I read your messages."
>vInID "I attempt it."
>'e' vInID "I attempt (the previous sentence)."
>jabbI'IDmeylIj vIlaD 'e' vInID "I attempt that I read your messages."
>vItIv "I enjoy it."
>'e' vItIv "I enjoy (the previous sentence)."
>jabbI'IDmeylIj vIlaD 'e' vInID 'e' vItIv. "I enjoy that I attempt that I
>read your messages." or a little smoother as "I enjoy attempting to read
>your messages."
All those <'e'>mey seem a little awkward, but OK.

>> 'ej jabbI'IDmeywIj vIghItlhchoH je vIneH.
>> and would like to start writing my own too.
>
>You just did write your own.
You could say I was explaining my motivation... but remember jabbI'ID was plural.

>> batlh Vlodnak'e', lughbe'pe' pabDaj ('e' nuja' DloraH),
>> Particular greetings to Vlodnak, who, though his grammar was off
>> (as pointed out by DloraH),
>
>suffix -pe'?
I think that was supposed to be -pu' -- his grammar WAS off.
Though, thinking about it, I suppose you could say it still IS off, since I still have a copy of the mail. So pretend I didn't put that suffix on.

>> 'ach laDlaHta'ghach law' jatlhwI'pu' 'Itlh laDlaHghach puS, vIrI'.
>> was more readable to me than the advanced speakers.
>
>After reading the english I could go back and kind of figure out what you
>were saying.
I think this is another case of running before I can walk.

>chu'wI'pu' jabbI'ID vIyajchu'. po'wI'pu' jabbI'ID vIyajchu'be'.
Not exactly, but it is a relief, after toiling through Holtej's reams of prose on getting his doctorate (no offence, Holtej), to see something nice and simple.

>Qov already addressed this issue. Plus beginners' messages can be more
>readable because (when they are grammatical) they tend to be more basic;
>just the simple OVS (Object Verb Subject).
Yes. I think it's probably a combination of this and the effect Qov described.
The problem is not knowing any Klingon speakers other than through the list.

>DloraH, BG

Sulu' wa'