tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 05 15:40:53 2002

RE: Picture of desktop in English, tlhIngan & piqad

Peter wrote:
> >If "edit visual display data" is what you mean, use the simple imperative:
> >
> >   HaSta De' yIchoH!
> >   Change (alter) visual display data.
> >
> >   HaSta yIchoH!
> >   Change the display.
> >
> >What does this button do?
>
>It launches Macromedia Fireworks (image editing software)

Ah. Since we have no word for image/picture, you have change (edit) the
data, not the actual image.  Another option is {ta} "file":

   HaSta ta yIchoH!
   Change the visual display file (image file?).

> >>qawHaq is already plural, "data banks".  /qawHaqmey/ I guess would be
> >>multiple groups of [data banks (plural)].
> >
> >I'm not sure what's supposed to happen when you click this button, but
> >why not keep it simple and use the imperative again:
> >
> >   qawHaq yInaw'
> >   Access data (memory) banks.
>
>It launches Internet Explorer. Which connects to multiple memory databanks.

I see your reasoning, but {qawHaq} appears to be another of those
inherently plural (though grammatically singular) nouns, like {negh}
"warriors, soldiers" or {Quv} "coordinates".  AFAIK we've never seen an
inherently plural noun take a plural suffix to refer to multiple
sets.  (BTW we don't do this in English either.  Only a child or foreigner
would ever say *scissorses, *pantses or *coordinateses.)

If you -really- want to the user to know that there's more than one set of
data banks available, use {puS} or {Hoch}:

   qawHaq puS yInaw'
   access several data banks

   Hoch qawHaq yInaw'
   access all data banks