tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 02 10:29:15 2002

Works

This might be KLBC, but I think it's open to opinions, so I have answered it.

 > If I want to say he works hard or fireworks klingon word for work is
{qul} but
 > what do you classify "works" as. "he works hard" isn't exactly the same
as "he > is working hard" is it?. Doesn't seem to have the exact same
meaning. And in > "fireworks", is that more of a noun and verb made up of
fire working? qul
 > Qap???

Firstly the "works" in "fireworks" is a noun and it means something to the
effect of "display system" or "presentation."  It's a little similar to the
works in "waterworks," which just means "system."  I would translate
fireworks as qul much ("fire show") or maybe jorwI' much ("show of things
that explode").  I'd also explain more about what fireworks were if it was
important than my listener understand that this was not a demonstration of
demolition tools or a fireeating/firewalking presentation.  "Works" as a
noun by itself usually means system, machinery or factory.

For your other question, what is the difference between "he works hard" and
"he is working hard"?  He is doing the exact same thing, right?  But in
English the first sentence implies a habit, he works hard in general, he is
known to work hard.  The second sentence implies a particular
instance.  He's normally a lazy son of a dog, but today he is working
hard.  Do you see any other difference between the meanings?  So to convey
this in Klingon you could say:

reH vumqu' - he always works to a great extent
vumqu' net Sov - it is known that he works to a great extent
DaH vumqu'lI' - he is now in the process of working to a great extent
motlh buD 'ach jInmolvamvaD vumqu' - he's usually lazy, but he's working to
a great extent on this project

vumqu' by itself doesn't provide information either way about whether this
degree of work is a habit or an instance.

Qap means function.  Use it to translate things like "this computer works."

The trick in Klingon is to figure out what the English actually MEANS, not
what the word says, and then translate that. So don't see the word "work"
and go to the Klingon words for work.  See any word, determine what it
means, and then translate that concept.

I would use neither Qap nor vum to translate the sentences below:

I have to work on my Klingon.
The chef prefers to work with raw foods.
This ship needs work before it will fly.
I am looking for work in Nunavut.
Your red shirt does not work with your new socks.

Back to archive top level