tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 24 08:23:09 2002

Re: Unsubscribe me -please-!!!

On Wednesday 24 July 2002 06:33, Alan Anderson wrote:
> Earlier today, an apparently well-meaning person posted some confusing
> instructions for unsubscribing.  Pay no attention to them; they don't give
> sufficient detail for anyone to follow them well enough to work.

What I did actually sent a request to ezmlm directly, which is the mailinglist
software a request to unsubscribe that user, generating a confirmation
message from the list software as if the user had sent e-mail to
[email protected] themselves.

My message was intended to be informational, not a set of instructions.
> The FAQ is *excellent* at telling what to do in order to unsubscribe, what
> to do if the prescribed procedure fails, and especially what *not* to do.
>
>   http://www.bigfoot.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm#1.2.3

From my experience, people don't read FAQs. Especially not those users who
start to get aggressive.

Helping them a hand by sending the request for me so they only have to reply
to the confirmation message of ezmlm is not a bad thing. It's a small effort
and not doing so might actually cause the frustrated user to spam the lists
with yelling. I've seen those users send thousands of messages to
mailinglists just to get the proper attention to be removed.

Since the person in question complained about the list administrator being
inresponsive, I tried to help indeed. Perhaps it would help if the list
signature could append it this URL to messages, some users might pick up that
clue.

My apologies for this thread and causing any inconvenience. I guess software
developers like me *do* speak technobabble.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
[email protected] | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much

Back to archive top level