tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 23 15:27:49 2002

RE: KLBC: Paul Simon

>From: "DloraH" <[email protected]>
>> cha'leS ram *Paul Simon* jIQoy.
>> The night after next I will listen to Paul Simon.
>Verb prefix doesn't show an object.
I seem to have made this mistake frequently. I am forgetful.

>> QoQ Qat qontaH 'ej muchtaH.
>> He sings and composes pop music.
>I don't think the -taH is right here.  He may have been doing it for years,
>but he does sleep and eat, etc.

At the time I thought that without the -taH it sounded like he was going to compose at the concert. And remember, they
say that a writer is working even when he is looking out of the window. I suppose
QoQ Qat qontaH 'ej much
would be a compromise, but it sounds even sillier.

>> <bIQmey Senglu'moHpu' Dung meH'e'> <tamghach wab> je qonta'.
>> He composed 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters' and
>> 'The Sound of Silence'.
>meH is the bridge of a ship, that room where the captain sits in his chair
>and tells everyone what to do.  We don't have a word for the other kind of
>bridge that connects two separated areas.

Sorry for misuse of bridge, but it is obvious what I mean.

>> *Liverpool*Daq vIDabchugh *concert* nI' 'oHvam.
>> This is a long concert in Liverpool, where I live.
>I believe you intended -bogh instead of -chugh.

HIja'. I am having trouble learning the prefixes and some of the suffixes. A teacher told me once that it is better to
remember wrongly than to look it up, because it is necessary to learn to use memory instead of the dictionary.

>Outside of the classroom I probably would understand and accept this
>sentence, but as BG I would say play it safe and use two sentences.
>
>If 'oH is acting as the verb, can it still take noun suffixes?  I think it
>needs to choose; pretend to be a verb or pretend to be a noun.

I agree. I think this problem arose because I changed my mind as to what I was going to say halfway through writing the
sentence.

>> 'egh neH *Paul Simon* jIbej.
>> but I am only watching Paul Simon.
>'egh as a word is the third note in the musical scale.
>'ach is "but".

As above.
qawHa' lI' law', qawmoHlu'chu' lI' puS.
I think this ditty sounds nicer in tlhIngan Hol.

>neH as "merely, only" follows the noun or verb it is modifying.

OK. I am thinking in English word order.
Could this not get confusing?
DuHotlh neH neH. It only wants to scan you.
Is that it only wants to SCAN you (not to attack you), or it only WANTS to scan you (it understands that it is not
allowed). I suppose this could be resolved with -qu' on either DuHotlh or the first neH as a kind of verbal -'e' topicaliser.

>Verb prefix doesn't show an object.

As top. jIyepHa'choH.

>'ach Paul Simon neH vIbej.

Much nicer. And on...

>> waghqu' *concert*vamDaq quSmey.
>> The seats [tickets] at this concert are very expensive.
>What's being expensive?  The "seats at the concert"?  Nouns with a type 5
>suffix can't modify a noun; so as a locative it should go before the verb.
>concertvamDaq waghqu' quSmey.
>"At this concert, seats are very expensive."

I think this implies the tickets are only expensive on the door.

>Or we can drop the -Daq and turn it into a noun-noun.
>waghqu' concertvam quSmey.
>"This concert's seats are very expensive."

I prefer this one. I wonder that it didn't occur to me at the time, especially as I was thinking along the lines of "tickets for
the concert".

>> vItIv 'e' vItul.
>> I hope I enjoy it. [I was thinking of
>> putting vItIvjaj. Would this have been better?]
>Both work.  The difference of the two is the same as the english.  It
>depends what you want to say.

OK.
>majQa'

qatlho'. I think I am improving but it still reminds me not a little of year 8 French lessons. :->

>DloraH, BG

Sulu' wa', B

Back to archive top level