tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 23 09:45:26 2002

Re: jIghungHa'

Quvar:
> >> tlhoy jISopchugh, vaj jIghungHa'.
> >> When I've eaten too much, then I'm filled.

pagh:
> > Not quite. In the article where Okrand introduces <tlhoy>, he also
> > introduces <'Iq>, and that's what you want here. <Soj 'Iq jISopchugh, vaj
> > jIghungHa'. chaq jIropchoH je.> <tlhoy jISop> isn't quite the same thing -
> > it means something more like "I eat all the time".

SuStel:
>tlhoy
>(adv) overly, to an excessive degree, excessively, too much
>
>Thus:
>   tlhoy jISopchugh
>   If I've eaten too much
>   If I've eaten excessively
>
>Looks like he used the word correctly.

Indeed.  Okrand discussed {tlhoy} in HolQeD 8.3:

   "It is used in such sentences as {tlhoy jISop}. 'I eat too much, I eat
excessively'. {tlhoy bIQong} 'you sleep too much, you sleep excessively'.
When {tlhoy} is used, it denotes that the action expressed by the verb is
what is being overly done or done too much. Thus the sentence: {tlhoy qagh
vISop} 'I eat too much gagh, I eat gagh excessively, I overeat gagh'
expresses the notion that the eating is excessive, not that the amount of
gagh is. (Note that although it is possible to say this, it is not
something anybody would be likely to ever say.) Similarly, {tlhoy yIHmey
vIlegh} 'I see too many tribbles' means 'I overly see tribbles' (perhaps
this could be used if one meant something like 'I see tribbles far too
frequently and in far too many places').
   "To express the idea of 'too much gagh' or 'too many tribbles,' the verb
{'Iq} 'be too many, be too much' is used adjectivally. For example: {yIHmey
'Iq vIlegh} 'I see too many tribbles'. {qagh 'Iq vISop} 'I eat too much
gagh'. Sometimes, the word {law'qu'} 'be very many' (formed from {law'} 'be
many' plus {qu'}, the emphatic suffix) is translated 'be too many.' If the
context is clear, this is acceptable, but if it important to stress the
idea of 'overly many, overly much, more than there ought to be,' {tlhoy} or
{'Iq} is usually employed."

Another example from the same article:

   tlhoy Sop 'ach ghIq Qongchu'.
   He/she eats too much, but then he/she sleeps soundly.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level