tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 22 14:52:35 2002

RE: jIghungHa'

Quvar:

> tlhoy jISopchugh, vaj jIghungHa'.
>   When I've eaten too much, then I'm filled.

Not quite. In the article where Okrand introduces <tlhoy>, he also
introduces <'Iq>, and that's what you want here. <Soj 'Iq jISopchugh, vaj
jIghungHa'. chaq jIropchoH je.> <tlhoy jISop> isn't quite the same thing -
it means something more like "I eat all the time".

> mughungHa'moH Sojvetlh.
>   That food is very filling.

maj. You might also consider the verb <yon> - "be satisfied". <muyonmoH
Sojvetlh>.

> tlhoy jItlhutlhchugh, vaj jI'ojHa'.
>   When I've drunk too much, then I'm un-thirsty.

Again, you want <Soj 'Iq> (yes, Soj can also refer to beverages), <bIQ 'Iq>
or <HIq 'Iq>.

> jItlhutlhchu'mo' jI'ojbe'.
>   Because I drunk enough, I'm not thirsty.

I like this. It's not an obvious way to use <-chu'>, but I think it works.
You may want to add <-pu'> or <-ta'> to the verb - you're not thirsty
because you have *completed* the action of drinking.

Another way is to use <yap> - "be sufficient", although I think I like yours
better.

pagh

Back to archive top level