tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 17 15:14:25 2002

Emphasizing adverbials?

A propos of our recent discussion on how to modify adverbials, I remembered
{jay'} "intensely":

   "This word not only intensifies whatever is being said, it turns the
    whole phrase into an invective. Alone among the adverbials, {jay'}
   always comes at the end of the sentence." (TKD p.177)

You can use this together with another adverbial at the beginning of the
sentence.  The relevant example is one that's not widely known:

   ghaytanHa' jay'
   Not bloody likely! (Radio Times book)

One of Glen Proechel's more successful phrases I particularly like is:

   ghobe' jay'
   Hell no! No f***ing way!

--
Voragh