tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 17 15:05:41 2002

Re: the banned book / BG

pIl'o':
> >...QaQ Hotbogh nuH'e' vIyaj...
> >
> >How can I add detail to the concept of 'feel', like describing good heft or
> >balance?

We have {ngaD} "be stable, be balanced" and {ngaDHa'} "be unstable, be
unbalanced":

   ngaDchu' nuH'e':  tISqu'be' qoj 'ughqu'be'.
   The weapon is perfectly balanced: neither too light nor too heavy.

You could also use the adverbial {tlhoy} "overly, to an excessive degree,
excessively, too much" here - {tlhoy tISbe' qoj tlhoy 'ughbe'} - but I
think {-qu'} works just fine.

Another way is to use the quality {vaQ} which is used to describe weapons:

   A weapon that is particularly good, that is well designed and well
   constructed, is normally described as {vaQ} ["be effective, be
   vigorous"]. Thus, a {taj vaQ} is a meticulously made knife and a
   {ghanjaq vaQ} is an especially nice mace. In speaking about a fine
   weapon, one could compliment it even further by adding the emphatic
   {-qu'} to {vaQ}. A really spectacular bat'leth would be a {betleH
   vaQqu'}. The word {vaQ} is not often used in describing the newer
   weapons (disruptors and the like), though such locutions are heard
   from time to time." (KGT p.67)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons