tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 13 02:03:10 2002

Re: grammar questions

jatlh taD:
>{chetvI'vo' targh bach torgh net Qoy} To me, this implies that the targ was
>loud enough, so that anyone around at the time heard the targ being launched.
>
>{chetvI'vo' targh bach torgh 'e' Qoylu'} This, however, suggests that
>someone heard the targ launched, but the speaker isn't saying who heard it.
>It might have been the Captain, it might have been the officers next to the
>torpedo tube, or maybe it doesn't matter - the speaker is focusing on the
>torpedo tube incident, and not on who exactly heard it.

So, if you wanted to translate these (loosely), you could say:

{chetvI'vo' targh bach torgh net Qoy}  -  Anyone (who was there) could hear
the targ being launched.

{chetvI'vo' targh bach torgh 'e' Qoylu'}  -  Someone heard the targ being
launched.

The first seems to be more of a statement about the nature of the noise the
targ made.  It was so loud that anyone around _could_ hear it.  Whether
anyone actually heard it or not is less relevant.  The second seems to focus
more on the fact that someone _did_ hear it.  It _was_ heard.

jIqar'a'?

-Sengval

Back to archive top level