tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 08 09:05:54 2002

Re: romanization

> >once i had the same idea. when i began to compile my vocabulary list,
> >i used this alphabet, in order to avoid the shift key:
>
>Interestingly, the system that I devised is very similar to the one you
>devised.

At this point switching systems would put us in the same position as Chinese
speakers during the switch from Wade-Giles to Pinyin for their romanization.
  Things would be extremely confusing for quite a long time.  (In fact,
people are still converting Chinese documents to Pinyin today.)  Now, if we
had a major world government willing and able to enforce its will on an
extremely large population, we could ride out the confusion.  But we have
relatively few speakers and no central authority (other than Okrand, who
isn't willing to change the writing system).  So I don't think the Klingon
speaking community would survive intact.  We'd factionalize into groups, the
purists on one hand and supporters of myriad different 'improved' writing
systems on the other.

So my vote on a new Romanization system is no.  (Not that anybody's vote but
Okrand's actually counts.)