tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 05 16:02:13 2002

Re: invention and innovation - tulwI' Hol

> > lut ghItlhchu'lu'.
>
> It depends on what you mean.

lut ghItlhlu'chu'.

For some reason, the Type 6 verb suffixes seem to be among the easiest to
misplace!

/ghItlh/ is a strange verb, and I'm not referring to the fact that it
doesn't mean everything that English "write" means.  It has three different
listings by Okrand:

TKD
ghItlh
write (v)

KGT
ghItlh
engrave, encise, mark (v)

HolQeD Vol. 2, No. 4
ghItlh
mark (upon) (v)

Apparently, you can /ghItlh/ a manuscript or a plaque, etc.  Can you
/ghItlh/ words?  The third definition suggests that the thing you /ghItlh/
is the thing which is written, etc. upon, rather than the actual words or
marks you make.  I've always been curious whether Okrand meant this as a
clarification, an expansion, or a replacement for the original listing of
/ghItlh/ in TKD.

SuStel
Stardate 2510.3

Back to archive top level