tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 02 12:56:47 2002

Re: beachquestion #3

charghwI' wrote:

> > My girlfriend left me.
> > {mumej parmaqqaywI'}
> > Can the verb {mej} take an object?

{mej}  "leave, depart"

Not that we've seen:

   ghorgh mamej?
   When do we leave? CK

   vagh rep bImejnIS.
   Check-out time is five a.m. CK

   bImejDI' reH betleHlIj yItlhap
   Never leave without your bat'leth. TKW

   bImej
   You leave. (STC: KLS)

>{lon} would likely be better.
>
> > What about "quit"?
> > {mubup'a'??}
>
>{lon} would likely be better.

Absolutely.  Klingons don't use euphemisms.

{lon}  "abandon"

   may'Daq jaHDI' SuvwI' juppu'Daj lonbe'
   When a warrior goes to a battle, he does not abandon his friends. TKW

> > She's gone.
> > When I use {loj}, does it mean the same, or is that only used if the
> > food on the table is "all gone"?
>
>We don't know. I don't know that it's been used in canon enough to judge
>well, though voragh can solve that mystery.

{loj} "be all gone" hasn't been used in canon.  My feeling is that {loj} is
closer to {natlh} "use up, consume, expend" which has been used:

   nIn Hoch natlhlu'pu'
   All the fuel has been consumed. KGT

   HoS law'qu' natlhmo' So'wI'
   Due to the tremendous energy drain of a cloaking device... S33

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level