tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 01 13:00:18 2002

Re: question #2

[Since this is not flagged "KLBC", I'll take a stab at it.]

Quvar wrote:
>Last week I was sitting at "the most beautiful place of our city",
>enjoying the sun and  writing some klingon for practice.  I wrote this,
>but it looks wrong:
>
>   *DaH vengwIj Daq 'IH law' Hoch 'IH puS jIH* (sic)
>
>It's been only one week, and I even didn't understand what I wrote when I
>saw it today :-)
>I believe there is a {-Daq} suffix missing, but where should I put it?
>
>   {Daq 'IH law' Hoch 'IH puS}
>   "the place (site) is more nice than all"
>
>   {Daq 'IHDaq jIH}
>   "I am at a nice location."
>
>I would try "I am at the location which is more nice than all" using {-bogh}?
>Where put it??
>
>--> {Daq 'IHbogh law' Hoch 'IH puS jIHtaH}   ????

Good question.  We have four examples (in three sentences) of law'/puS
being used with a locative phrase:

   reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS.
   The fire is always hotter on someone else's face. PK

   qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS.
   You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy. ST5

   DujvamDaq tlhIngan nuH tu'lu'bogh pov law' Hoch pov puS 'ej DujvamDaq
    'op SuvwI' tu'lu'bogh po' law' tlhIngan yo' SuvwI' law' po' puS
   It [IKV Pagh] has the best weapons and some of the finest warriors in
    the Klingon fleet. S7

All of these are variants of {X-Daq A Q law' B Q puS} or "At/on/in X, A is
more Q than B."  The S7 example also shows us how to combine {-bogh} with
law'/puS:  {A Q1-bogh Q2 law' B Q2 puS} "the A which is Q1 is more Q2 than B".

For "I was sitting at the most beautiful place of our city" try this:

   vengwIjDaq Daqvam jIba'bogh 'IH law' Hoch 'IH puS.
   This place in my city where I sat is the most beautiful of all.
   In my city, this place that I sat is the most beautiful of all.

Another option is to use a purpose clause:

   vengwIjDaq jIba'meH Daqvam 'IH law' Hoch 'IH puS.
   For me to sit in my city, this place is the most beautiful of all.
   In my city, this place is the most beautiful of all for me to sit .

on the model of:

   tlhutlhmeH HIq ngeb qaq law' bIQ qaq puS
   Drinking fake ale is better than drinking water. TKW

   jonlu'meH wo'maj pop tIn law' Hoch tIn puS
   Our Empire's highest bounty has been placed on his head. (MO's ST5 notes)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level