tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 31 12:42:08 2002

RE: ? about a word.

One point to add on the verb {So'} and transitivity:

It is not that {So'} is like {Sop}, which can take a direct object or not. If I
say {jISop}, I'm still eating something other than myself. I'm just not telling
you what I'm eating. If I say {jISo'}, then I most probably am hiding myself,
not something else. See voragh's sited example:

>   nuqDaq So'taH yaS
>   Where is the officer hiding? TKD

The question isn't "Where is the officer hiding something?" The question
is "Where is the officer hiding himself?" The example doesn't say {nuqDaq
So''egh yaS.}

This reflects the transitive and intransitive use of the English word "hide". I
hide. I hide my book. When I just hide, I hide myself.

Basically, this word pair, "hide" and {So'} are exceptional in the same way in
their respective languages.

charghwI'

..
> charghwI':
> : While I don't have the direct quotes with me, I have {So'} as being used
> : both transitively and intransitively, just like in English. I hide. I
> : hide your present. The citations I have for it are:
> :   TKD word list
> :   TKW page 182
> :   TKD page 69
> :   HolQeD vol 8, no 4, page 12
> : Anyone who would like to check out those sources could easily resolve
> : this.
>
> That's my cue...
>
>   nuqDaq So'taH yaS
>   Where is the officer hiding? TKD
>
>   yISo'rup
>   Prepare to cloak. ST5
>
>   HIvmeH Duj So'lu'
>   A ship cloaks in order to attack. TKW
>
>   "It is also appropriate to say {Duj So'} (He/she cloaks the ship)
>    or {Duj So'lu'pu'} (The ship is cloaked; literally, 'Someone or
>    something has cloaked the ship')." (KGT 54f)
>
>   "The challenged party may agree to the duel by answering {vISo'be'}
>    ("I don't hide it") or the lengthier {qabwIj vISo'be'} ("I don't
>    hide my face"). This person is said to {'angchu'} ("show clearly"),
>    the usual shorthand way of saying {qabDaj 'angchu'} ("He/she shows
>    his/her face clearly")." (KGT 69)
>
> Presumably {So'Ha'} "uncloak" works the same way, although we have fewer
> examples:
>
>   cha yIghuS. So'Ha'!
>   [Arm torpedoes. Uncloak!] ST3 (untranslated)
>
>   yISo'Ha'rup, yIghuS.
>   Stand by to de-cloak for firing. ST5
>
> If our attestations are representative, it appears that {So'} "hide, conceal,
> cloak" usually takes an object, but doesn't have to (i.e. it's one of those
> transitive verbs that can also be used intransitively).
>

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level