tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 30 00:00:40 2002

Re: KLBC: chay' mu'meyvam lo'lu'?

jIjatlh:
>{vIHarlaHbe'!  ta' qIp puqvetlh 'e' ngIl puq!}

ja' Voragh:
>though I would drop one of the {puqpu'} since it's a short sentence:
>
>  ta' qIp 'e' ngIl puqvetlh!

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
> qatlh reH mu' wa'DIch Danop?  qech yajmeH laDwI' DaloSmoH.
>
> Voragh, you consistently suggest that the *first* noun be dropped.  Do you
> really find it simpler that way?  I'd much rather get the information early
> than to have to wait for the rest of the words before I can know what the
> first phrase is talking about.

For what it's worth (and since it is my sentence), I agree with Voragh.  I
first wrote {ta' qIp puqvetlh 'e' ngIl}, for the reason Voragh gives, but
then considered that the subject of {ngIl} would be ambiguous if I didn't
state it.  (Although, in reality, who would think it was the emperor who was
daring to be hit by the child?)

-Sengval

Back to archive top level