tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 29 12:40:16 2002

RE: KLBC: T'Anna/ nu translation

> > Now, on a topic of your choice, try a three word
> > sentence, like these that we've been doing for a while.
>
> :)I love children.
> :)puqpu' vIbang.

Careful.  bang is listed as a noun, "love; loved one" refering to (most likely)
a person.  My wife is my love, my loved one.

puqpu' for "children" is correct, and the prefix vI- is correct.

Klingon doesn't have (as far as we know) a direct translation for "love"; plus
in english it has so many meanings.  We have par "dislike" and parHa' "like".
So some people use this same pattern with muS "hate" and get muSHa' "unhate"
which could be read as "love"; but some people don't like it.  Later on when we
get deeper into the language you will learn to -describe- your love, express
your feelings instead of simply "I love you".

> :)My family name is Kirk.
> :)Kirk pongwI' qorDu'.

This sentence needs a verb.  In TKD you will find a section that talks
about "pronoun as to-be".

tlhIngan maH - we are klingon.  The pronoun maH "we" is being used as a
verb "we are".
When pronouns are used in this way, if there is a noun in the Subject slot, you
have to add the suffix -'e' on the subject.  Now before I loose you here, let's
look at some examples.

Kirk 'oH qorDu'wIj pong'e'  -  The name of my family, IT is Kirk.

HoD ghaH Qanqor'e'  -  Kranqor, HE is the captain.

veQ 'oH Dujchaj'e'  -  Their ship is trash.

See how this works?

Also, you used the suffix -wI' for "my".  You are refering to a name, not an
actual person, so you should use -wIj.

If you want to we can cover this more when I'm not at work, or we can put it
off for another day.

> :)I like Vulcans.
> :)vulcanganpu' vIparHa'.

Change the "c" to a "q" and you have this one correct!

Wow.  This was quite a lesson, huh?  But you're learning.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level