tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 29 02:07:31 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: tlhatlh (n)

jatlh ghunchu'wI':

>KGT actually explains this odd discrepancy as a Klingon dialect.  Some
>speakers pronounce the {tlh} oddly (specifically the restauranteur on Deep
>Space Nine, if I'm remembering correctly).  The "gladst" pronunciation is a
>Klingon one, not a Terran one.

majQa'! I did not know this. For those without KGT, the dialect of Klingon
spoken on the planet Morska is typical of this (resulting, I believe, from
Commander Keraz mispronouncing his Klingon lines in Star Trek VI), with two
allophones of what we write as <<tlh>>. The exact pronunciation is difficult
to explain off the top of my head - perhaps someone with KGT easily to hand
can supply us with the way Okrand described the pronunciations of the
dialect.

Qapla' 'ej Satlho'

ro'Han