tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 28 22:15:06 2002

RE: qepHom, qep, qep'a'

I guess I'll participate in this...

> >1) the general preference for using HIja' for "yes" over HISlaH.

Normally I use HIja'.  If I'm being more formal or "polite" I use HISlaH.
If the ambiguity of HIja' could cause confusion I use HISlaH.

> >2) choosing to use pI' over ror (or vice versa) for "be fat" when I know
> >of no denotative distinction between the two.

I use pI', only because I remember it by runpI'.

> It seems to me that we use {joH} a lot more than {jaw} for "lord"; this
may
> just be to avoid confusing {jaw} "lord" with {jaw} "chat".

Not confusion, just that joH only means "lord".  jaw already has another
meaning.

> ... {'a} and {'ach}

I always use 'ach.  If someone has less than perfect pronunciation or if the
listener isn't paying total attention and hears 'a and in the back of the
mind thinks -'a'...

> {SanID} ... {SaD}.

I use SaD, I guess because it's in that saying about 4000 throats.

> I believe I use {ghot} more often than {nuv}.

I use both; it depends which one flows better with the words around it.

> Although I don't use {lu'}/{luq} too frequently, when I do, I usually
> choose {lu'}.

I use lu'.  With luq I keep thinking that the people around me will think
that the name of the person I'm talking to is Luke.
I do use this word.  HIja' is "yes" when answering a yes/no question.
A- "The sky is blue."
B- "Yes, I see."
This is not  HIja', vIlegh.  There was no question.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level