tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 28 00:52:38 2002

Re: KLBC: "New York"Daq lengwIj

In a message dated 1/25/2002 9:36:23 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> jIyajbe'.  Does {leng} take a direct object, or not?  Even if it does, I
> would be confused by {New YorkDaq vIlengpu'}, as it seems to be saying "In
> New York, I travel to it".  Travel to what?

Basically, verbs of motion take a direct object, making use of {-Daq}
unnecessary, i.e., redundant.

New YorkDaq vIleng could mean "I travelled IN New York."

Considering the original message to which I responded "Travel to what (while
in New York)?", I do not need to use {-Daq} more than once.  New York Hyde
ParkDaq jIyIt means I walk in New York's Hyde Park.  New York possesses Hyde
Park; Klingons do not say New YorkDaq Hyde ParkDaq to indicate that Hyde Park
is in New York.  Just run the possessive nouns into a series.

In conclusion, I am claiming that New York lengwIj is better than New YorkDaq
lengwIj for "my New York trip" because Klingons use the possessive noun
series.

peHruS

Back to archive top level