tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 27 23:33:57 2002

Re: KLBC: T'Anna/ nu translation

From: "TPO" <[email protected]>

> Including the pronouns (jIH, SoH, etc) adds emphasis.
> rIvSo' vISuch jIH - this emphasizes that it is "I" that will be visiting
the
> embassy, instead of possibly someone else going.
>
> puq DaqIp - "you hit the child."
> puq DaqIp SoH - "It was YOU that hit the child!"

Including the pronoun can also be done for added clarity, without
necessarily implying emphasis.  Sometimes it's not clear who's doing what
without a pronoun.  For example:

targh muSmo' yaS, vIHoH.
"Because the officer hates the targ, I kill (him? it?)."

This would be cleared up with a pronoun:

targh muSmo' yaS, ghaH vIHoH.
"Because the officer hates the targ, I kill him."

There's no emphasis here because I included /ghaH/.  This makes it different
from:

targh muSmo' yaS, 'oH vIHoH.
"Because the officer hates the targ, I kill it."

And in Klingon, there's never any sense of redundancy if nouns are reused:

targh muSmo' yaS, yaS vIHoH.
"Because the officer hates the targ, I kill the officer."

If you truly want to indicate emphasis on a pronoun, use the Type 5 noun
suffix /-'e'/:

yaS vIHoH jIH'e'.
"It was I, not someone else, who killed the officer."

(The suffix /-'e'/ can also indicate a sentence topic, but I believe it
mostly is not a subject or object when used this way.)

SuStel
Stardate 2075.8

Back to archive top level