tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 25 09:30:05 2002

Re: Klingonase vs. tlhIngan Hol

> I stand corrected on the spelling of canon.

No big deal. I initially misspelled it, myself, until someone pointed it out to
me.

> That is
> what I was trying to say.  Not everything, Officially,
> written in the TKD is canon, according to Star Trek
> faans.  Although, I was trying to make a point.  The
> point is that some people will probaly use Ford's
> language, but more often than not they will use
> Okrand's Language.

You missed my point. Nobody has ever used "Ford's Language". Not even
Ford has ever used Ford's language because Ford never had a language.
He is a fiction writer, not a linguist. He made up words and defined them.
Mostly, he made up nouns. He sprinkled them in with his English text, but
he never developed a language. He doesn't know how and he's not
particularly interested in learning how.

By contrast, Okrand is a linguist, excellently qualified to develop his own
language and he has done just that. tlhIngan Hol is a language.
Klinganaase is a myth; a minor tool for fiction writers. It is not a language
and never has been, and likely never will be. If it ever DOES become a
language, someone other than Ford is going to have to do it, since Ford
has no reason to do it and no inclination to do it. He never intended to
make up a language. He was just trying to add a little depth to his fictional
characters.

> & until either language is used,
;> completely on t. v. or in the movies, what is used is
> the only part that will be considered canon.  So

I'll bet you $10 you can't write "Where's the bathroom?" in Klingonaase.
You can't say, "Don't stab me with that knife!" in Klingonaase. You can't
say, "My captain ordered me to be here at 6am," in Klingonaase. I can say
all these things and many more in tlhIngan Hol.

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?
HIDuQQo'! tajvetlh yIroQ!
mura'mo' HoDwI', javvatlh rep naDev jIpawnIS.

Klingonaase is useless for expressing ideas. You could not use it for
basic survival communication without some other common language to
drop Klingonaase words into. It is useful only to fans who will memorize
certain terms in Klingonaase and use them instead of the English
equivalent. In essence, Klingonaase is most charitably described as
"jargon". It is a set of words that certain English speakers understand,
useful only in a very limited context, and even then, only in English
sentences. It is a set of code words. It is not a language by ANYBODY'S
criterion. It is, at best, a fictional rumor of a language that exists
somewhere, even though nobody really knows how to speak it.

Have I made my point yet?

> what's the big deal.

Have I made my point yet?

charghwI'