tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 22 15:43:41 2002

Re: Klingon chat rooms?

lab DOOM-er:
---------
  Heya all, I hope I'm not violating the rules here, since this email is
neither in nor technically about Klingon, but I was really wondering if
anybody knows any chatrooms on the Internet where Klingon is spoken?? I've
looked but I can't find any. I've checked #klingon on several IRC networks
but they're all empty or non-existent. An ICQ search for users interested
in Klingon also didn't give very good results. And all I found on HTTP is
the "Hot Blood Bar" which is always empty. I've heard there's a KLI 'MUSH
enviroment' thingie, but I don't know how MUSH works and I can't even
connect. I just think it would be really good for me (or anybody else
learning the language) to be able to try to have actual live conversations
in tlhIngan Hol, and not just translate pieces of text back and forth.
Plus, it would be nice to be able to talk to some fellow Klingonists. :)
Does anybody have any tips?
----------

I see no violation in postings asking about a tlhIngan Hol chat room (or
any other "how to study/how to organize a qepHom" type
topic).  Unfortunately we currently have no MUSH or other chat room.   I
completely agree that this is what we need to promote fluency in the
language.  There are so many applications available to do this that I don't
know why we don't have it.  I have written to Lawrence more than once
urging him to make restoration of the MUSH a priority.

My telephone number is in the KLI directory.  Anyone who would like to
speak real time Klingon -- perhaps you have one of those long distance
plans with unlimited minutes at certain times of day, or you have some
minutes to use up -- please e-mail me to arrange a time, and then I will be
happy to converse with you.  My first few Klingon conversations were by
telephone, although the one relayed via a digital answering machine went
poorly.

I won't meet you in an online chat room, because I have a problem with
excessive use of online chat.

Back to archive top level