tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 22 15:25:54 2002

Re: More puns in new vocab

Sovchaj lI'be' vIghurmoHmeH:

latlh pong ghaj *Pieces of eight*: *Dollar* luponglu'. *bit* 'oH wa' 'ay'
pong'e'. vaj cha' *bit* 'oH "one quarter of a dollar"'e'.

"Shave and a haircut, two bits" 'oH bomHom'e'. vImugh:

cha'maH vagh *cent*mey chonobchugh, rollIj vIteq 'ej jIblIj vIpe'.

charghwI'

> On 21-Jan-02, David Trimboli wrote:
> > From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>
> >> : It looks like vIlInHoD is the word going into the new version of the
> >> sketch.
> >> : chorghvo' 'ay'mey!  chorghvo' 'ay'mey!
> >>
> >> "From eight sections"?  nuqjatlh?!
> >
> > Clearly, he's trying for "pieces of eight," something a pirate's parrot
> > might cry out.
> >
> > The problem (aside from the likelihood that "pieces of eight" isn't
> > separable) is that this violates the rule in TKD 3.4 that says you can't put
> > a Type 5 noun suffix on the first noun in a noun-noun construction.
> > "Sections from eight" is not a valid formation in Klingon.
> >
> > According to uselessknowledge.com, "In the American colonies, there was no
> > standard currency. The coin that was in widest use was the Spanish Peso,
> > known also as "Pieces of Eight" because it could be divided into eight
> > pie-like pieces."
> >
> > So pieces of eight are pesos.  It probably doesn't help to have a parrot
> > squawking /*peso*mey/!
> >
> > Unless you translate the currency as well as the language, you're forced to
> > say /chorgh 'ay'mey/, which really means "eight sections."
>
> Exactly. "Pieces of Eight" is what iirc Long John Silver's (no relation ;)
parrot from
Treasure Island says. The name of said parrot?
> ..
> wait for it...
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> ..
> Captain Flint!
>
> Sorry about the rule break (there is always one). I was indeed trying to
steer a
> course away from the noun-noun "eight's pieces", because of the ambiguity of
> "eight pieces". Obviously floundered on grammatical rocks here, though I
might add, pirate
types were not necessarily known for their perfect grammar.
> Aarr, jIm puqloD!
>
> Regards,
> --
>    Jeremy Silver   |\   jeremy @ mupwi.demon.co.uk
>  __________________| \  j.silver @ elsevier.co.uk
>                    |  | A1200T, Blizzard 1260, 34Mb
>  mupwI' yI'uchtaH! |__| 10Gb HD. Amiga Forever.

Back to archive top level