tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 22 15:05:17 2002

Re: Klingonase vs. tlhIngan Hol

lab charghwI':

 > The word "canon" is spelled "c-a-n-o-n" not "cannon". The former is
something > you accept as from a reliable authority. The latter is a gun,
typically too large
 > to carry without mechanical assistance. Anything written or spoken by Dr.
 > Marc Okrand is canon. He invented the language we call tlhIngan Hol.
 > Anything else is not canon.

charghwI' is perfectly correct with respect to tlhIngan Hol, but it must be
noted that the KLI has no monopoly on the use of the word "canon."

Star Trek fans, as opposed to Klingonists, use "canon" to describe that
which has appeared on screen in one of the TV shows, excluding the animated
series, or one of the movies.  Star Trek books, while interesting to some
and reviled by others, are not canon Star Trek.  Information cut from
scripts, like Saavik being half Romulan, are not canon Star Trek.  The
Klingon Dictionary, while Paramount sanctioned, and used in movies, is not
Star Trek canon.  Only those lines of dialogue actually appearing in the
finished versions of movies are Star Trek canon.

Klingonists use "canon" to describe tlhIngan Hol published or officially
proclaimed by Marc Okrand.  TKD is tlhIngan Hol canon.  KGT and TKW are
tlhIngan Hol canon.  New words and grammar explained by Mark Okrand in an
interview for HolQeD is tlhIngan Hol canon.   To be fair to Marc, what he
scrawls in autographed books, or what he mutters in the restaurant at
qep'a', should probably not be considered tlhIngan Hol canon.  The point
is, only one person makes up new tlhIngan Hol, and he should be given the
opportunity to think things over, and the freedom to practice his own
language without his mistakes being canonized!

Someone made the point about there being two different usages of the word
canon, in an earlier post, but it was at the end of a long post and may
have been missed.

Back to archive top level