tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 21 15:17:14 2002

Re: Klingonase vs. tlhIngan Hol

ja' pIl'o':
>    From my understanding of this, Klingoneese words were introduced in
>the books by John Ford.

Specifically one book, "The Final Reflection".  I haven't read "How Much
for Just The Planet?" yet.

>  Some of these words were adopted by 'gamers' and these are still used
>by KAG for honorifics and ranks.

They weren't merely "adopted".  They were officially presented as part of
FASA's roleplaying games, produced under license from Paramount.  Ford was
an official consultant for the language and culture used in the RPGs until
FASA's license was revoked/not renewed.  Subsequent on-screen portrayals of
Klingons and their culture went in a different direction from Ford's
vision, but much of Klindom uses the well-established Klingonaase terms.

>Isn't this where the K'whatever names
>came from?

As told by Ford, one of the customs/requirements in Klingon culture is that
a new Navy officer's name is changed to have a "K" at the beginning.
Marines get "M", and scientists seem to begin with "A" -- which is, I
believe, the origin of the pIqaD character at the bottom of the KLI logo.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level