tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 21 07:27:11 2002

Re: Klingonase vs. tlhIngan Hol

Most of the fans from Klingon trek clubs that I have met, only accept
Ford's book and the *info* therein, as the klingon language/culture.
Whenever I've pointed out or tried to teach them the language from TKD,etc
they were not in the least interested. To me, only Okrand is canon
material,not one paperback book by some obscure Trek author. These
followers still continue to use the Honorifics,name formation,etc even
though it hasn't been written that way in years in 'canon' Trek.
The Final Reflection vIlajbe'
or should that be
The Final Reflection vIHarbe'

Lt.Commander Maud "malqa" Freifelder
Chief Security Officer USS Triumph NCC-26228
"Triumph Against All Odds"
STARFLEET/Region 2
[email protected]/aka tfn.net

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Robyn Stewart wrote:

>  > Doesn't Klingonase/Klingoneese pre-date tlhIngan Hol, the language
> invented
>  > by Marc Okrand?
>
> Just barely.
>
> John M. Ford's first Klingon novel, The Final Reflection was published May
> 1984, and tlhIngan Hol was created for Star Trek III, which premiered June
> 1st 1984.  The first edition of TKD wasn't available to fans until 1985,
> however.
>
>  > From my understanding of this, Klingoneese words were
>  > introduced in the books by John Ford. Some of these words were adopted by
>  > 'gamers' and these are still used by KAG for honorifics and ranks. Isn't
> this
>  > where the K'whatever names came from? Please correct me, as it is all very
>  > confusing.
>
> You have it exactly right.  With only a handful of words and phrases, Ford
> created the illusion of a language.  Mostly the vocabulary was honorifics,
> ranks, K'names and ritual expressions.  Most experienced Klingonists
> recognize Fordisms, and they are held in higher regard than ParHol.  There
> are a few in Hamlet, even.   I consider Klingonaase to be another language
> of the Empire.
>
>  > > Klingoneese is how most refer to the "dialect" created by John Ford.
> ta' Hol
>  > > refers to what Okrand gives us. tlhIngan Hol is how you refer to the
> Klingon
>  > > language, any dialect.
>
> It's spelled Klingonaase, but even Ford's Klingons comment on the fact that
> DIvI' Hol speakers keep saying -eese.
>
> And I just found this.
>
> http://hotwired.lycos.com/talk/club/special/transcripts/96-08-13-okrand.html
>
> Not terribly relevant, just poor Marc getting spammed online, and he called
> some of us "amazing."  I didn't remember seeing it before.

Back to archive top level