tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 19 12:54:18 2002

Re: juH chu' vIDabchoH

> > > mI'Daq qaS'a' vay'?
> > >
> > > -- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh
> > >

> > Is mI'Daq attested?  Can we shorten mI'meH Daq?  If we can, I'll put it
>into
> > my mu'ghom immediately.  I love new "words."
> >
> > peHruS
> >

>{mI'} has two meanings. One is a noun and the other is a verb. {mI'meH Daq}
>is "location that has the purpose of dancing/exercising". You know {mI'} is
>verb here because {-meH} is a verb suffix. {mI'Daq} means "at the number".
>You
>know {mI'} is a noun here because {-Daq} is a noun suffix.

But {Daq} is also a noun meaning 'site', which we have seen used in
{QongDaq}, which seems to be a compound word literally meaning 'sleep-site'.
  This is what I thought of when I read both the original sentence and
PeHruS's question, especially since 'at the number' doesn't make much sense
in the context of Lawrence joining a gym, whereas 'exercise-site' does.
(Unless {mI'Daq} has some idiomatic meaning of which I am unaware, which is
entirely possible, since the only canon materials I have read are TKD, KGT,
TKW, and a few issues of HolQeD.)  Then again, I don't know if {qaS} can
take what we would call in English a direct object, which it needs to be
able to do for {mI'Daq} to make sense as 'exercise-site' in the original
sentence.

>charghwI'

Sangqar