tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 14 04:08:28 2002

Re: KLBC: was: RE: More puns in new vocab/moq/response

--- TPO <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ouch!  Ok, I'm guessing you didn't read the first
> half of the dictionary,
> particularly section 6 which starts on page 59.
> Klingon is a language all of it's own.  It's not a
> re-coding of english.  It
> has it's own grammar.  English is
> Subject-Verb-Object.  Klingon is
> Object-Verb-Subject.
>

> > HIja'.
> > Yes.
>
> "yes" is used a few different ways in english.  In
> klingon {HIja'} means
> "yes" when answering a yes/no type of question.
>
> {lu'} and {luq} mean "yes" in the sense of "yes,
> sure, ok".
>
> Other english "yes" could match with {Qochbe'}
> "agree".
>
> I see a lot of people using {HIja'} for all the
> various meanings of "yes",
> but it's supposed to be for answering a yes/no
> question.
>

> >jIH       parHa'    Sov  nuqDaq SoH tu'
> >I   would like   to know where  you find(found)
> moq.
>
> First, because you are asking where he found the
> word, we know that you
> would like to know; other wise you wouldn't be
> asking.  So we'll drop the
> first half of the sentence and be more direct.
> "Where did you find {moq}."
> [you] is the subject.
> [find] is the verb.  Page 33 of TKD shows a verb
> prefix chart.  Looking at
> the chart, when [you] is the subject and [it] is the
> object, the prefix we
> want is Da-.
> [{moq}] is the object.  Above I said that [it] is
> the object.  The word
> {moq} is not a person.  It's not a "you" or a "we",
> it is an "it".
> [where] turns this into a question.  Questions are
> covered on page 68 of
> TKD.  The question word where/nuqDaq comes at the
> beginning of the sentence.
>
> nuqDaq  {moq} Datu' SoH?
>
> Because the prefix Da- implies that the subject is
> [you], you don't have to
> include the pronoun SoH.  Adding the pronoun SoH
> would emphasis "you".
> "Where did YOU find {moq}" as opposed to where did
> someone else find it.
>

> > nuq                 wot.
> >What is "revel" the verb.
>
> First, "revel" is a typo.  He ment "rebel".  In
> english "rebel" is both a
> noun and a verb.  He was making sure the other
> person was aware that lotlh
> was the verb "rebel" and not the person "rebel".
> The person would be a
> lotlhwI'.
>

> >      neH  mu' jIH tu'              moQ,
> > The only word I   find (found) was moQ,
>
> neH (only, merely) follows the word it modifies.
> The object is {moQ}.
> The verb is... it isn't [find]...
> The subject is... it's not [I], it is [the word];
> what word?  [the word
> which I found].  This is a relative clause, page 63.
>  [find] is part of the
> [...]
realized I had a lot of learning to do.  I have just
started learning the Klingon Language.  So for now, I
think I will leave translating my work to the experts.
 This is not as easy as it looks.  I think I'll just
sit back & let you guys speak in Klingoneese, & only
respond in standard, & keep learning.  Hey I do enjoy
the quips that go back & forth on this page.  Well the
reason I signed up is to learn Klingon.  So please
continue to send me e-mail.  I feel I will sooner or
later learn this. Thanks, T'Anna Kirk.