tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 13 05:41:59 2002

Klingon WOTD: tlhob (v)

This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Saturday, January 12, 2002.

Klingon word:   tlhob
Part of Speech: verb
Definition:     request, plead, ask

Additional Notes:
TKD Addendum.

Okrand, HolQeD 7:4: What I wanted to do with {tlhob} and {ghel} is to distinguish between two different meanings for the English verb "ask."  There are two "ask's."  There's the "ask" where you ask a question and there's "ask" where you make a request.  I wanted it to be two different verbs, though apparently there are times when the "request" verb is used to ask a question as well [PK: lutlhob naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq majaHlaH'a'?]  So maybe the way it works is that {ghel} can ask a question and only as a question and the other one can mean that and is also use [sic] to request or plead or something like that.

The Klingon Word Of The Day is brought to you by Holtej ([email protected]).  Please contact me with additions, corrections or comments.

--Holtej 'utlh
tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ