tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 06 16:07:22 2002

RE: KLBC: continue

> How would I say that I continue doing something that I was already doing?
>
> I continue fighting {jISuvqa'} says that I stopped at some point
> and then started again.  I don't want that. {jISuvtaH}, if I
> understand it correctly, doesn't get across the idea that
> this is a continuation of a previous action, but rather says that I am
> continuously fighting.

Many times context will help.  We also have words like {reH} that we can
tack on there.  Plus -qa' and -taH are different suffix types, so you can
use them together.  {jISuvqa'taH}, depending on the exact meaning you want.

> What I really want to get across is the idea that I am doing the
> same action I have been doing for a (long) while.

Now this sounds like a {qaStaHvIS...} type of sentence.
qaStaHvIS poH nI'  jISuvtaH.

Also, -qu' is a rover; it emphasizes whatever immediately precedes it.
jISuvtaHqu'.
The -qu' emphasizes that it is continuing.

> {jISuvtaH.  pagh vIchoHta'.}  might work.  I am fighting.  Up to this
point,
> I have intentionally made no changes.  Although maybe the {-ta'} suggests
> that the period of not changing things has come to end, and I am about to
> change something.  I don't necessarily want to imply that.

The first thought that popped into my mind was that your fighting wasn't
very effective.  You keep fighting and fighting but you change nothing.

> Or I could go for the complete recast and say {jISuv 'e'
> vImevbe'.}  Within the context, that would probably work.

This fits well.  We have canon examples of {... 'e' **-mev-***}
bIjatlh 'e' yImev - TKD p172

And, in the anthem Qoy qeylIS puqloD, near the end we have:
 pa' reH maSuvtaHqu'.  mamevQo'.  maSuvtaH.
 "There we will always really continue fighting.  We won't stop.  We
continue fighting."

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level