tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 05 16:26:53 2002

Re: A weird phrase

From: <[email protected]>
> I ran across a phrase yesterday that is a perfect example of why the most
literal translation is often not the best.
> The phrase was: ". . . it causes a lot of confusion for you and me". It's
a fairly reasonable phrase in informal English.
> The obvious mechanical Klingon babel-fish type translation of this phrase
is <SoHvaD jIHvaD je mIS law' qaSmoH>.
> This is a horrid mess in Klingon. Just something to think about for anyone
who makes an exercise out of translating
> everyday English into Klingon.

qatlh taQ?  jIHvaD mIS law' qaSbe'moH.  chaq vIDublaH: <jIH SoH je
numISqu'moH.>

SuStel
Stardate 2014.8

http://members.aol.com/dtrimboli