tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 05 02:35:18 2002

A weird phrase

I ran across a phrase yesterday that is a perfect example of why the most literal translation is often not the best. The phrase was: ". . . it causes a lot of confusion for you and me". It's a fairly reasonable phrase in informal English. The obvious mechanical Klingon babel-fish type translation of this phrase is <SoHvaD jIHvaD je mIS law' qaSmoH>. This is a horrid mess in Klingon. Just something to think about for anyone who makes an exercise out of translating everyday English into Klingon.

pagh

Back to archive top level