tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 28 21:37:43 2002

RE: [KLBC] -lu' and -ghach

> I read in TKD:
>
> Daqaw	you remember something/someone
> Daqawlu'	something/someone remembers you
>
> Ok, I thought a while back, so now I can say:
>
> Soplu' qagh	gagh is eaten
>
> Or "something/someone eats gagh". Identical to the "you remember"-example,
> I thought. But, yes, I know, -lu' indicates an indefinite subject, so that
> rules out Soplu' qagh. But I wonder, then why is Daqawlu' allowed? Doesn't
> that specify the subject as being "you"? So I can say:
>
> Soplu'		it is eaten
>
> but not:
>
> Soplu' qagh	the gagh is eaten

qagh is the object.  qagh Soplu' - gagh is eaten.

> puqpu' lutu'	they find children

lu- here is [them - it].  puqpu' is plural.  So "they find children" would
be puqpu' tu'

> puqpu' lutu'lu'	something/someone finds children
>
> Now the subject and object aren't reversed.

The subjects and objects do not get reversed; only the prefixes are tricky.

Look at the chart on page 33, the column under him/her/it.  These are the
ones used with -lu'.
If the object is "me"   (I),    use vI-
                 "you",         use Da-
                 "him"  (he),   use   (null prefix)
                 "us"   (we),   use wI-
                 "you (pl)",    use bo-
                 "them" (they), use lu-

puq tu' yaS - the officer finds the child
You can point to someone and say he is the officer.

puq tu'lu' - there is a child / a child is found
Who is the one that finds the child?  We don't care.  Our attention is on
the child; we don't care who or what made the observation.  Indefinite
subject.

The prefix on the first one is [he - him] (null prefix).
The second one is [an unspecified someone - him] (still null prefix).

puqpu' tu' (chaH) - they find children
There are some people you can point to and say that they are the "they" in
the sentence.

puqpu' lutu'lu' - there are children / children are found
Who is the one that finds the children?  We don't care.  Our attention is on
the children; we don't care who or what made the observation.  Indefinite
subject.

The prefix on the first one is [they - them] (null prefix).
The second one is [an unspecified someone - them]  lu-

In your first example  Daqawlu', if we add the pronoun SoH "you" to help
clearify, we get:
SoH Duqaw - he remembers you.
SoH Daqawlu' - you are remembered.
The prefix under [him/her/it] for the row [you] is Da-

> And what about, for instance,
> puqpu' Datu'lu' be?? What would that mean?

puqpu' is a "them".  Under the [him/her/it] column, in the [them](they) row
you find lu-

Da- is in the [you] column.

Do you see the pattern?

> Also, a quick question about -ghach: is it ever used?? I mean, I know it's
> "weird" (but not forbidden?) to use it on verbs with no suffixes, but is
it
> ever used altogether, or do people generally avoid it because it's not
> well-understood?

It does get used once in a great while.  The klingon language is verb based.
Klingons like action.  If you want to use -ghach, first step back and see if
you can recast, keeping the verb as a verb; you're probably thinking too
much like english.  But -ghach can be used.

DloraH, BG

Back to archive top level