tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 20 16:06:05 2002

Secret information?

charghwI':
> >> This one may be a problem.  None of the examples of {pegh} "keep something
> >> secret, be secret, classified" I know of take an object

   pegh De'vetlh.
   That is classified information. CK

   De' pegh vIghaj.
   I have secret information. PK

   ghoSmeH yIpegh!  (?)
   Stealth approach. ST5
   ("In order to approach, be secret!")

peHruS:
>Many dictionary entries of languages other than tlhIngan Hol use this
>convention.  "To keep something secret" means the user of the verb can put an
>Object in place of the word "something."  The result we get is "to secret
>something."  This implies transitivity.  While I am not sure that it what Dr.
>Okrand meant here, it does seem plausible.

The only example where Okrand uses the translation "keeps something secret"
comes from HQ (5.1) in his discussion of {peghmey vIttlhegh}:

   pegh vIttlhegh.
   A proverb keeps things secret.

which, he goes on to explain, means that:

   "it withholds information rather than being a ready source of answers.
    To some Klingons, this is a most insightful coincidence."

Note that there's no explicit object here.  He doesn't say -what- the
proverb keeps secret, just things in general; i.e. "a proverb keeps
secrets," "a proverb keeps its secrets."  This is in line with the other
two glosses "be secret, (be) classified" which are qualities, not
transitive verbs.

Sengval:
 > It seems that when Dr. Okrand intends that meaning, he usually puts the
 > phrase that is to be replaced by the object in parentheses -- "to keep
 > (something) secret". Usually, but perhaps not always.

Sengval is right; that does seem to be his convention.  E.g. {tatlh}
"return (something)" [st.k], wItlh "break (something) off" [KGT],
{HIQoymoH} "Let me hear (something)" [TKD].

>Thus, {De' pegh bu' matlh} would be "The loyal sergeant keeps the information
>secret."

Although I -really- like this, I'm not sure it's allowed.  Perhaps we have
to say something like:

   De' pegh tu' bu' matlh; pegh.
   The loyal sergeant discovers secret information; he keeps things secret.

We've seen Okrand use this method before.  It may be clumsy for English
speakers, but maybe not for Klingons.

>This all means that I personally feel {pegh} can be used as a transitive
>verb.  But, with no proof, I will remain cautious and just not use it this
>way until MO tells us the truth of the matter.

If {pegh} is a quality "be secret, be classified", then *{peghmoH} would
mean "classify" (make secret):

   HIvmeH romuluSngan nab pegh tu' matlh bu' 'ach peghmoH maghbogh yaS.
   Although the loyal sergeant discovered the Romulans' secret attack plan,
    the traitorous officer classified it.

If {pegh} is already transitive, what happens if we add {-moH} to
it?  "Make someone/something keep something secret"?  I suppose this is
also means to "classify".

And just to confuse things, we also have the verb {buv} "classify".  It's
never been used, but the homophonous noun {buv} "classification" appears in
the BoP poster:

   Hung buv rav: patlh Hut
   classified ["security classification"] level 9 and above

So, the question may be moot.  Although *{peghmoH} may be grammatically
possible, Klingons may prefer using the verb {buv} instead.

{De' pegh} indeed.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons