tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 11 19:30:29 2002

Re: Artificial "real" languages (was Re: pIqaD)

In a message dated 2/2/2002 10:10:19 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> ja' charghwI':
> >[Turkish] is probably
> >as close to an artificial language actually spoken by a whole country's
> >population as has ever existed in the world, though it is strongly based
> >on the
> >natural language that had preceeded it.
>
> Hebrew yIqel je.  mu'tay' law' 'ogh wa' loD puqloDDaj je.
> wa'vatlh vaghmaH ben, boghpa' Eliezer Ben-Yehuda, Hol Qop 'oH.
> wa'vatlh cha'maH ben, chenpa' Hebrew Hol rIp, Hebrew HaDlaHbe' vay'.
> Qatlh Bible Hebrew 'ej pIj pupHa'.  nap DaHjaj Hebrew.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

While I will not claim that Spanish and Irish are created or recreated for a
nation, about 600 years ago Sapnish underwent standardization of spelling and
about 100 years ago the Irish government began a push for the renewal of the
language.  Spanish was neither dead nor truly stale, it just need spelling
standards.  Since then, TexMex Spanish has exhibited numerous variant
spellings again.  Irish never really died out in northwest Ireland, the rest
of the country lost use of it.

On a completely different line, lots of us are in the process of recording
languages which will not endure much longer.  I am working on Atayal and Ute.

peHruS

Back to archive top level