tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 17 06:36:39 2002

Re: KBLC KLBC

It's not KBLC, but KLBC: "Klingon Language Beginners' Conversation"

ghItlh ngabwI':

>jIQongtaHvIS jIvumlaH.
>        I can do this job sleeping.
maj.
literally "I can work while I am sleeping"

>(I am curious if I need to use {'e'} with {jIQongtaHvIS} as the antecedent)
You only need the pronoun {'e'} when the preceding sentence is the object of the verb, as in
    {bIQong 'e' vIlegh}
    "I see that you sleep"
    "You sleep; I see that"

In your case, {jIQongtaHvIS} "while I am sleeping" is a subordinate clause. TKD 6.2.2 explains:
<<<<<< Klingon verbs ending in Type 9 suffixes (other than {-'a'} "interrogative" and {-wI'} "one who does, one
which does") always occur in sentences with another verb. Hence, they are verbs in subordinate clauses"

Just as in english, the order of the two parts of the sentence is variable:
    {jIQongtaHvIS jIvumlaH.}
    "while I am sleeping I can work"

    {jIvumlaH jIQongtaHvIS}
    "I can work while I am sleeping"

>     potlhHom 'oH Sepvetlh'e'
>       - "The region is of minor importance"

>(I am questioning the use of {potlhHom} ("little important thing"?), as I am
>not sure this is a valid translation, or that this sentence has a valid
>translation)
Interesting question. Your sentence is grammatically correct. Only the question remains what {potlhHom} exactly
means.
{potlh}n. "consequential thing, something important"
{potlhHom}n.  "minor consequential thing, something less important" (?)
Then there should also be something {potlh'a'} "something very important"

>Another question: Is it that I'm so new to the language, or are the speakers
>of thlIngan Hol in the movies and TV just really bad?
Oh no, those are just different dialects!  ;-)
(that's the official explanation, of course the actors had trouble)

>      DEE HEEV LA TA VEES DEE HEEV NEES
>Am I listening incorrectly, or is that what he actually said?
That's exactly what he says.

This sounds like Morskan dialect
   {*DIhIvlatavIS DIhIvnIS*}
More about that in KGT p.22.