tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 28 12:38:00 2002

Re: tlhIngan Hol lujatlhbogh puq'e'

jIjatlh:
> >to be fair, we know that at least for some verbs, the noun in the object
> >"role" can be marked by <-Daq>, and in either this thread or the one(s)
> >about "adverbials", someone quoted the relative clause example, where
> >the noun in the subject "role" at least appears to be marked by <-Daq>.
> >
> >thus, one is free to assume that "syntactic markers" may appear in any
> >of the three "roles" Subject, Object, and Header, although they in fact
> >most often appear in Headers if they're not <-'e'>. One can then lump
> >together <-'e'> with all the other type 5s - as is done in TKD... nothing
> >much gained, nothing much lost either, so far, IMO.

mujang tulwI'. jatlh:
> i think that there are header nouns with /-'e'/. i think i have seen
> a sentence that had an object and a preceding noun with /-'e'/. or a
> verb can have two objects or the first noun with /-'e'/ belongs to
> the header.

all I meant to say was that "they...most often appear in Headers"
does not apply to <-'e'>.

> >It gets muddy, though, when one starts to consider whether Subjects
> >and Objects are filled with nouns without an explicit "syntactic marker";
> >are these two kinds of null-suffixes, the same, or "no case"?
> >what about time stamps?
>
> excellent question. :) (i think that is what i wanted to know all the
> time.)

the point is, if you want to champion the case for Klingon cases
(sorry, couldn't resist the pun), *you* should find the answers
to those questions and tell us what you've come up with.

Marc Ruehlaender
aka HomDoq
Portabler MP3/CD-Player mit 480 Sek. Antischock, Fernbedienung,
ID3-Tag und integrierter Ladefunktion für nur 77,90 EUR bei mpX
http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/email.mpx