tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 27 10:11:56 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: mum (v)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, August 27, 2002.
>
>Klingon word:   mum
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     taste, sense flavors

Okrand introduced the word on startrek.klingon (7/97):

   Another verb, {mum}, means "taste" in the sense of "perceive flavor(s)".

   qagh vImum
   I taste the gagh ("I perceive the gagh's flavor")

and expanded on this a bit in KGT (p.86):

   The verb {mum} ("taste") means "sense flavors". To say {Soj vImum}
   ("I taste the food") is to say "I perceive a flavor or flavors", not
   "I try out the food to see if it is prepared properly." This latter
   meaning of "taste" is expressed by the verb {waH}, which can also be
   used more generally to mean "try out, test, use experimentally".

Speaking of Klingn tastes (and smells), Okrand has this to say:

   The usual Federation Standard translations of the primary tastes
   ("pungent", "sour", "salty") are a little deceptive. From the Klingon
   point of view, it is not accurate to say that a particular food is
   sour; rather, it tastes and smells sour. That is, sourness is not an
   intrinsic quality of the food; it is a perception, the effect the food
   has upon the senses of smell and taste, the Klingon sense of smell
   being particularly highly developed. Translations such as "sour-inducing
   ({Soj wIb}, "sour-inducing food"; {na' Soj}, "The food induces
   saltiness") would perhaps be closer to the feeling of the Klingon, but
   they are a bit clumsy." (KGT 85-86)

BTW, the verb for "smell, sense odors" is {largh}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level