tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 27 09:56:39 2002

Re: Klingon WOTD: nuqDaq (ques)

At 09:30 02-08-27 -0400, lab SuStel
>From: "Quvar valer" <[email protected]>
> > >nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH
> > >Where can I get my shoes cleaned? TKD
> >
> > I know it's like that in TKD, but why is it not
> > {vIlamHa'choHmoHlaH} "Where CAN I get..." ?
> > Or is it the english translation that is wrong?
>
>In English we frequently use "can" when we really should use "may" or "do."
>A more literal translation of the Klingon is "Where do I begin to clean my
>shoes?"

I would prefer to explain it as "where do I make my shoes change to be
non-dirty?"  Sometimes "begin" is the best translation of -choH, but here
it is a change suffix.

Back to archive top level