tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 23 13:41:00 2002

Re: tlhIngan Hol lujatlhbogh puq'e'

lab tulwI'

>but: now that _we_ know klingon, too, couldn't we, without violating this
>scifi context, write another tkd?

Two reasons why not:

1. the logical reason: we don't know anything about Klingon that Marc
Okrand hasn't already told us.

So all we'd be doing is re-stating what he has said.  Yes there are cases
where what is in TKD is further clarified in other publications and it
would be useful to have that material collected.  To a certain extent
that's what Captain Krankor does in From the Grammarian's Desk, and what I
do in Beginner's Corner, or whatever my HolQeD column is called. But
projects like this do not really add anything to our knowledge, just
rearrange it.  And such projects run up against reason number two.

2. the legal reason: Marc Okrand created and continues to support the
language.  He deserves the benefit of the ONLY artificial language ever to
earn money for its creator.  And even if Marc didn't mind,
Paramount/Viacom's lawyers would.

It would not violate the science fiction context.  In a world where Klingon
was real and not copyrighted, there would be dozens of Klingon learning
materials available, but if Marc didn't let anyone else talk to Maltz, and
no other Klingons co-operated, they'd all run up against reason number
one.  Actually there are lots of other learning materials, if you count all
the internet sites in various languages, and HolQeD and this mailing list.

So, go ahead, re-write TKD for your own benefit.  The proof of the pudding
is in the eating, though.  DIvI' Hol Dalo'taHvIS tlhIngan Hol Dalo'be'taH,
'ej laHlIj DaDubbe'.

Back to archive top level