tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 23 12:53:48 2002

Re: Deconstructing {law'/puS}

Just in case anyone's interested, I have always thought of this by remembering MO's 'conjecture' in the
addenda to TKD that all non-suffixed verbs can be viewed as nouns. That makes the construction (for
example)
'Iw jeD law' bIQ jeD puS
translatable literally as "blood's thickness is many, water's thickness is few". It's a shaky means of seeing
the language, but my opinion of language is that this kind of literal translation is useful as a kind of
transitional state between the Klingon and the English. Thus we translate from full Klingon, to English words
acting like Klingon, to normal English.
Anyway, I don't think it matters how each individual chooses to deconstruct it, as long as it works for that
person. I do it like this because this is how it makes sense to me, as long as I can remember this isn't really
how a Klingon thinks of it. Some people see it differently. It doesn't matter as long as both end up with an
equivalent translation.

qayajmoH 'e' vItul.
-> I cause you to understand; I hope it. ->
I hope I have been enlightening.

Sulu' wa'
--
'u'wIj vuSmey Del HolwIj vuSmey