tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 20 21:23:09 2002

Re: [KLBC] Translation again

ja'pu' DloraH:
> We can have phrases like /ghojmeH taj/; can
> we have phrases like /boghmo' DIb/?

ja' SuStel:
>No.  We are explicitly told that /-meH/ verbs can modify nouns; we do not
>have any permission or evidence for doing this with other subordinate verbs.

We have a *teeny* bit of evidence for doing it with {-vIS}.

TKW page 95:
  Better to die on our feet than live on our knees.
  QamvIS Hegh qaq law' torvIS yIn qaq puS.

It's not obvious that one can draw useful conclusions from a {law'/puS}, of
course.  But this sort of usage is exactly what one would expect if it were
possible to say something like {QamvIS Hegh} "death while standing" in the
same way as {ghojmeH taj} "knife for learning."  (Or at least if it had
been possible do do so at some point in the past.)

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level