tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 13 11:16:41 2002

Re: Early Show

You should all know that I received a phone call from Michael Kaas, the
producer of the segment. He's the fellow who has been pushing to come to a
qep'a' for two years, and he spent a pretty full day with us.

Anyway, he phoned yesterday to apologize for the inappropriate behavior of
the anchors, regretting that he has no control over what they say and do in
the studio. He repeated the apology several times and seemed quite genuinely
embarassed by the situation.

As for the segment itself, I too was very disappointed that they did not use
more of the interview with Qov (rendered as "cov" on screen). I can
understand using just a bit, taking heads (even in Klingon) don't hold
attention for long. But a bit more extended discourse would have made the
point more strongly.

I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one who thought Marc Okrand spoke
incredibly quickly. Neat trick, that. I'll have to ask him how to do it.

I had far too much screen time, I thought, and I really regret that I had a
microphone clipped to my shirt (left over from when I was teaching the
beginners' session) during the singing.

In addition to leaving off any contact information, I was also disappointed
that they didn't use the footage they had shot of ghIlghameS and paghmo' tIn
mIS. I can't think of much else that would make a serious statement for the
work with Klingon than complete books of translated works.

Still in all, the segment itself was better than most have been in the past.
The studio personnel were rude beyond excusing, but I don't generally hold
out much hope for intelligent or polite behavior from people whose main job
in life is to look pretty and read off a teleprompter.

Lawrence

Back to archive top level