tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 05 07:53:01 2002

Re: qep'a'mey vIqawtaH...

lab Voragh:

>tulwI' (sts.) wrote:
>
>>>DISvam tlhoy jIghIQta'mo' qep'a' HutDIchDaq jIDach. loQ
>>>jI'IQ 'ach ret qep'a'mey vIqawchu'.
>>
>>again one stupid question: why it's not /qep'a'Daq HutDich/?
>
>Because of an untranslated note from Marc Okrand to Sustel on the
>old MSN expert_forum newsgroup (11/96) describing the Klingon
>students he saw using his language at qep'a' wejDIch:
>
>   qep'a' wejDIchDaq jatlhtaH tlhIngan Hol HaDwI'pu'.  ghoHtaH je.
>
>Your question isn't stupid; other's have wondered at Okrand's use of
>{-Daq} here too.  There are two theories:
>
>1)  {qep'a' wejDIch} is a proper noun:  i.e. not "a third
>conference" but "the Third Conference" and so functions as a unit,
>as if it were a name.  {-Daq} therefore has to go at the end of the
>unit:  {<<qep'a' wejDIch>>Daq} "at 'The Third Conference'".
>
>2) {-Daq} goes at the end of any noun + modifier (quality, ordinal
>number, etc.) phrase, not on the noun.  We have another example from
>TKD (p.50):
>
>   If a Type 5 noun suffix is used (section 3.3.5), it follows the verb,
>   which, when used to modify the noun in this way, can have no other
>   suffix except the rover {-qu'} "emphatic". The Type 5 noun suffix
>   follows {-qu'} ... {veng tInqu'Daq} "in the very big city."
>
>Notice you say {veng tInqu'Daq}, not *{vengDaq tInqu'} as you might expect.

hm, once again /-Daq/ reveals its HoS'a'. no one glues more than it does.

toH. HoS'a'Daj 'angqa' mojaq {-Daq}. 'oH tay'moH law', Hoch tay'moH puS.

>>>qep'a' wejDIch vIqaw je. Dun. maghomqa' 'ej malaw'choH.
>>>juppu' chu' vIqIH. Okrand vIqIH je! ravDaq maba'taHvIS
>>
>>what's the difference between /ghom/ and /qIH/?
>
>{ghom}  "meet, encounter, assem 'angble, rendezvous"
>
>{qIH"  "meet (for the first time)"
>
>charghwI' asked Okrand about these two verbs.  He reported to the List that
>
>    In an interview with Okrand, he conveyed to me another difference.
>    The more general verb [ghom] works both as {qaghom} "I meet you"
>    and {maghom} "we meet". The verb {qIH} always has a direct object.
>    I can say {qaqIH} "I meet you (for the first time)," or I can say
>    {maqIHchuq} "We meet each other for the first time," but I'm not
>    using the verb properly if I ever say *{maqIH} "We meet for the
>    first time." That's just not how the verb is used.

ok! thank you.

>   ngoch luchermeH 'ej wo' San luwuqmeH pa' ghom tlhIngan yejquv DevwI'pu'
>   ... where the leaders of the Klingon High Council meet to determine policy
>   and decide upon the fate of the Empire. S25

this one seems like a complete sentence to me: the leaders of the
Klingon High Council meet there to determine policy and decide upon
the fate of the Empire.

anyway...

>   tera' vatlh DISpoH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga Duj tI'ang ghompu'
>    DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
>   A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was encountered in
>    the 24th century by the USS Enterprise. S15

/DISpoH/ i don't understand.

>(Personally, I would have used {qIH} in the S15 example, but SkyBox
>didn't hire me to translate their cards!)

but it's not wrong to use /ghom/, is it? /qIH/ is just the first /ghom/.

tulwI',
sts.

Back to archive top level